5 Exercises to Strengthen Your Back
Having a strong and healthy back is essential for overall well-being. There are many exercises that can help to strengthen the back, so it can better withstand the daily wear and tear of life. Here are five exercises from chiropractic professionals that can help to strengthen your back:
- Wall Sits – Stand with your back against a wall, legs apart and feet flat on the floor. Slowly bend your knees to a 90-degree angle, keeping your back against the wall for balance and support. Hold for 30 seconds and then slowly return to the starting position.
- Bridges – Lie flat on your back with your legs bent at the knees and arms at your sides. Push through your heels to lift your hips off the ground. Hold for five seconds and slowly lower your body back to the starting position.
- Planks – Start in the push-up position, but rest your arms on the floor instead of pushing up. Keep your spine straight and your abs tight. Hold for 30 seconds and slowly lower your body back to the starting position.
- Superman – Lie on your stomach with your arms and legs extended. Slowly raise your arms and legs off the ground and hold for five seconds. Lower them back to the starting position and repeat.
- Back Extension – Lie on your stomach with your arms at your sides. Slowly lift your arms and head off the floor, while pressing your hips down. Hold for five seconds and then lower your body back to the starting position.